We offer hundreds of fun, unique and cost-effective recreation programs for children, youth and adults. Our programs run all year and include skating, swimming, dance, music, arts and crafts, outdoor adventure and play, summer and weekend camps and many other sports and fitness activities.
Upcoming Registration Dates
- Winter recreation (formerly dryland) programs: Dec. 7 beginning at 10 a.m.
- Winter aquatics & skating programs: Dec. 8 beginning at 10 a.m.
- Registration for the Canada Games Centre, Cole Harbour Place, Zatzman Sportsplex and St Margaret’s Centre take place on different dates and times. Please visit their websites directly for their registration information.
- Indoor pools include Sackville Sports Stadium, Needham Centre, Captain William Spry.
How to Register
We offer recreation programs at municipal recreation centres that are owned and operated by the municipality. To register or to search for a program or location, click on the buttons below. The links will take you to the MyRec portal.
There are also recreation programs at four facilities that are owned by the municipality but operated by community partners. These facilities have separate registration programs and processes, registration dates and times and websites. To register or to search for a program at one of these facilities click on the buttons below. The links will take you to their facility website.
To preview the upcoming recreation programs available in your community, click on the program PDFs below. The programs are organized by area and, in some unique cases, by activity. Visit MyRec to register.
Note: some program fees and/or details may change over the course of registration. For the most current details, please log into MyRec.
Funding & Support
To support you and your family, we offer the Recreation Funding Access Program. The program provides recreation opportunities to children, youth and adults in financial need. Depending on the need, the cost of recreation programs could be 50% or 100% covered, with the exception of private swim lessons, birthday parties and sport ball programs. Click here for more information.
- If you are a new program applicant, please apply at least four weeks before registration opens. This will ensure that your application is reviewed and processed before registration. Click here to apply.
- If you are an existing program participant, application renewals must be submitted by April 1 of each year.
The municipality is committed to providing safe & accessible programs for everyone to enjoy. To see information about inclusion support process for our recreation programs, visit halifax.ca/RECinclusion. For information on inclusive sport and recreation opportunities and resources throughout the province, check out our Playbook.
To stay updated on recreation opportunities:
• Follow @hfxrec on Facebook for updates on recreation programs and opportunities
• Follow @hfxnextgen on Instagram for everything that we offer for youth (age 13-24)
• Contact your local municipal recreation centre
• Opt-in to receiving recreation emails through your MyRec account