Splashpads, Beaches, and Water Testing
Lifeguard supervision and water quality testing at all municipal beaches will end for the summer season on Thursday, August 31, 2023.
Municipal staff regularly test the water quality at all supervised beaches during the summer months.
High bacteria levels can be caused by a number of factors, including dogs, birds, wildlife, and high temperatures. Staff will continue testing the water until bacteria levels return to safe levels. The municipality will advise residents when beaches close and reopen.
Wave Pool at Captain William Spry Community Centre
16 Sussex Street
The Spryfield Wave Pool features:
- a 25-metre, 4-lane lap area
- a 15-metre diameter graduated beach area
- waves, waves, waves: from 1/2 to 1 1/2 metres (only on during wave swims)
- 5 in-pool therapeutic water jets
- Rock climbing wall
- 2-yard ape pool slides
- a deck-side patio area
Group discounts and passes are available. This facility is wheelchair accessible.
- See how much it costs to go swimming at one of these pools.
Halifax Commons Outdoor Pool
The pool features:
- 5-lane swimming pool
- 3 climbing walls
- Beach Entry with play features
- Water plaza
- Large Universal Change rooms
- FREE ACCESS
Children must be accompanied by an adult in the water if under the age of eight. Family swims must have adults in the water regardless of age.
- 1 adult for every 3 children under 6 years old
- 1 adult for every 6 children aged 6–7 years old
- Children must be accompanied by an adult in the water within arm’s reach if under the age of eight.
Swimming programs and activities at Halifax pools
Pools in Halifax offer many levels of swimming lessons and activities, for all ages and abilities. Check the swimming calendar for schedules for the following activities:
- adult lessons (including private and semi-private lessons)
- aquacise/aquafit arthritis therapy
- instructor and lifeguard training programs
- preschool swim classes
- Red Cross Swim Kids (for children aged six and up)
- youth swim
- specialty courses, including:
- synchronized swimming
- first aid training
- junior lifeguard
Browse the various programs on halifax.ca/myREC which include complete descriptions, levels, and availability.
Don’t know what level you are? Please contact the appropriate facility to arrange testing.