This page lists Halifax Transit service adjustments, including adjustments related to permanent stop relocations and consolidations, scheduling adjustments, and the November 20, 2023, service changes.
These service adjustments have been broken down into the following categories:
With recent improvements to staffing levels, beginning Monday, November 20, 2023, Halifax Transit will introduce four new routes as part of the Moving Forward Together Plan (MFTP), make minor schedule adjustments to 22 routes to improve service quality and reliability, and reinstate 55 previously suspended trips on 26 routes.
By prioritizing elements of the planned MFTP service changes and increasing previously reduced service, passengers will benefit from additional trips and new routing to take them where they need to go.
Halifax Transit Riders' Guide [PDF] - Effective November 20, 2023
Halifax Transit Route Map [PDF] - Effective November 20, 2023
As our city changes, so do our public Transit needs. The Moving Forward Together Plan (MFTP) will improve our transit system to better meet the needs of residents of the Halifax region, now and in the future. On November 20, 2023, a set of substantial structural MFTP service changes will come into effect and complete the route network redesign, forming the basis for a fixed-route transit system in the municipality for decades to come. The following four new routes will come into effect on November 20, 2023:
- Route 28 Bayers Lake
(Service 7 days a week)
- The new Route 28 Bayers Lake will follow a similar routing as the former 28 Bayers Lake but will undergo a routing adjustment in Bayers Lake to service the new Bayers Lake Community Outpatient Centre on Susie Lake Crescent.
- The route will no longer service Chain Lake Drive between Washmill Drive and Julius Boulevard.
- Route 28 will also undergo schedule adjustments and include additional trips to accommodate this new routing.
- Route 51 A/B Windmill
(Route 51A: Service 7 days a week.
Route 51B: Rush-hour/Peak Period weekday service only.)
-New Route 51 A/B replaces former Route 51. This new route has two branches, which provide service between:
51A: (7 days/week) Bridge Terminal -> Bedford Institute of Oceanography (BIO) -> Ocean Breeze Estates
51B: (Weekdays at rush hour/peak periods only) Bridge Terminal -> BIO -> Ocean Breeze Estates -> future Wrights Cove Terminal
- The new Route 51 A/B, which will travel on Hudson Way, will simplify service to Ocean Breeze Estates and Burnside, and provide service throughout the day to BIO.
-Route 51B will provide new service to the future Wrights Cove Terminal, which allows for better connections to other bus routes and communities.
- The new 51B will operate at peak hours to provide new service from Wrights Cove to and from Ocean Breeze Estates on every trip.
- Due to low ridership, the route will no longer service past Wrights Cove on Windmill Road (specifically Akerley Boulevard, Joseph Zatman Drive, and Topple Drive loop).
- Route 56 Dartmouth Crossing
(7 days a week)
-In response to public feedback, the new Route 56 Dartmouth Crossing will follow a similar routing to Dartmouth Crossing as former Route 56 but will extend to travel along Wright Avenue to service the future Wrights Cove Terminal.
-The new Route 56 will provide a better connection between Burnside Industrial Park and Dartmouth Crossing and provide additional connections at the future Wrights Cove Terminal/Windmill Road area.
-The new Route 56 will connect riders to bus routes that service Burnside/Dartmouth Crossing, and those travelling to Bedford and Sackville.
- Route 72 Portland Hills
(7 days a week)
-In response to public feedback, the new Route 72 Portland Hills will follow a similar routing from Portland Hills to Dartmouth Crossing as the former Route 72, but will extend north of Wright Avenue to service growing development in Dartmouth Crossing (IKEA, Kent, etc.).
-Route 72 will provide two-way service along most of the route through Burnside and Dartmouth Crossing to simplify the network.
-All-day and late-night service will be provided on Commodore Drive, an area currently served by Route 64 Burnside only on weekdays.
-Route 72 will no longer provide service on Ilsley Avenue north of Ronald Smith Avenue, or on Wright Avenue between Ilsley Avenue and John Savage Avenue.
Additionally, as of November 20, 2023, 22 routes will undergo minor schedule adjustments to improve service quality and reliability. These routes include 1, 2, 7A, 7B, 10, 24, 28, 39, 59, 61, 65, 68, 91, 158, 159, 161, 165, 168A, 168B, 194, 196, and 433.
Adjusted schedules will be available in the coming weeks.
- Route 1 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 2 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 7A Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 7B Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 10 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 24 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 28 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 39 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 59 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 61 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 65 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 68 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 91 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 158 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 159 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 161 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 165 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 168A Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 168B Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 194 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 196 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
- Route 433 Schedule - Effective November 20, 2023
With recent progress made in improving staffing levels, Halifax Transit will increase service effective November 20, 2023. Approximately one-quarter of the previously reduced service will be reinstated. Specifically, a total of 26 routes will have 55 trips reinstated, with 12 of these routes returning to full service. The following routes will have trips reinstated:
- 29 (2 trips) – returning to full service
- 59 (4 trips)
- 65 (2 trips)
- 68 (1 trip)
- 83 (2 trips) – returning to full service
- 85 (1 trip)
- 86 (2 trips) – returning to full service
- 93 (2 trips) – returning to full service
- 123 (1 trip) - returning to full service
- 127 (2 trips)
- 135 (4 trips) - returning to full service
- 136 (4 trips) - returning to full service
- 137 (2 trips)- returning to full service
- 138 (4 trips)- returning to full service
- 158 (1 trip)
- 159 (4 trips)
- 165 (2 trips)
- 168A (1 trip)
- 168B (1 trip)
- 182 (2 trips)
- 183 (2 trips) – returning to full service
- 185 (1 trip)
- 186 (2 trips) - returning to full service
- 194 (2 trips) - returning to full service
- 330 (2 trips)
- 370 (2 trips)
Beginning Monday, February 27, 2023, Halifax Transit temporarily suspended service on three bus routes, and made schedule adjustments to 32 routes.
Due to ongoing staffing challenges, these service reductions will remain in place until further notice.
While progress has been made with respect to recruitment, the February service reductions will remain in place and continue until further notice.
Ferry and Access-A-Bus services are not impacted by these service reductions and are expected to continue as scheduled.
Details of Service Reductions:
Service suspended: Routes 41, 178 and 179 have no service.
- Passengers on Route 41 may consider Route 10, or Route 7A/7B + 1, 5, 10, 158, 159, 161, 165, 168+
- Passengers on Route 178 may consider Route 67 + 63, 58, 158
- Passengers on Route 179 may consider Route 67 + 159, 5, 168+, 161, 165
105 trips were removed from the following routes:
- One trip removed from Route 123
- Two trips removed from each of the following routes: 29, 68, 83, 86, 93, 137, 158, 183, 186, 194
- Four trips removed from each of the following routes: 55, 57, 65, 84, 127, 135, 136, 138, 165, 168A, 168B, 370
- Six trips removed from each of the following routes: 59, 85, 159, 182, 185
- 10 trips removed from Route 330 (all remaining trips are adjusted to service both Tantallon Park & Ride and Sheldrake Lake Park & Ride)
For all current route schedules, please visit our Routes & Schedules page.
|29 Barrington||to Bayers Road Centre||Tower Road Turning Loop||6:39 AM||Cancelled|
|29 Barrington||To Tower Road Turning Loop||Bayers Road Centre||5:55 AM||Cancelled|
|41 Dartmouth - Dalhousie||No Service|
|55 Port Wallace||to Charles Keating & Waverley||Bridge Terminal||
|55 Port Wallace||to Bridge Terminal||Charles Keating & Waverley||
|57 Portland Estates||to Penhorn Terminal||Portland Hills Terminal||
|57 Portland Estates||to Portland Hills Terminal||Penhorn Terminal||
|59 Colby||to Cole Harbour & Cumberland||Portland Hills Terminal||
|59 Colby||to Portland Hills Terminal||Cole Harbour & Cumberland||
|65 Caldwell||to Astral & Grenadier||Portland Hills Terminal||
|65 Caldwell||to Portland Hills Terminal||Astral & Grenadier||
|68 Cherry Brook||to Cherry Brook||Portland Hills Terminal||
|83 Springfield||to Springfield Estates||Sackville Terminal||7:48 AM||Cancelled|
|83 Springfield||to Sackville Terminal||Springfield Estates||6:54 PM||Cancelled|
|84 Glendale||to Sackville Terminal||Barrington & Duke||5:40 AM||Cancelled|
|84 Glendale||to Barrington & Duke||Sackville Terminal||
|84 Glendale||to Sackville Terminal||Barrington & Duke||5:55 PM||Cancelled|
|85 Millwood||to Millwood & Sackville||Sackville Terminal||
|85 Millwood||to Sackville Terminal||Millwood & Sackville||
|86 Beaver Bank||to Beaver Bank & Kinsac||Sackville Terminal||5:59 AM||Cancelled|
|86 Beaver Bank||to Sackville Terminal||Beaver Bank & Kinsac||6:19 PM||Cancelled|
|93 Bedford Highway||to Downtown Halifax||Cobequid Terminal||7:26 AM||Cancelled|
|93 Bedford Highway||to Cobequid Terminal||Barrington & Duke||5:44 PM||Cancelled|
|123 Timberlea||to Charles & Charles Park||Barrington & Duke||6:20 PM||Cancelled|
|127 Cowie Hill Express||to Barrington & Duke||Cowie Hill & Peter Saulnier||
|127 Cowie Hill Express||to Cowie Hill & Peter Saulnier||Barrington & Duke (SB)||
|135 Flamingo||to Robie & University||Mount Saint Vincent||
|135 Flamingo||to Mount Saint Vincent||Robie & University||
|136 Farnham Gate||to Robie & University||Wentworth & Dunbrack||
|136 Farnham Gate||to Wentworth & Dunbrack||Robie & University||
|137 Clayton Park||to Robie & University||Regency Park & Lacewood||6:47 AM||Cancelled|
|137 Clayton Park||to Regency Park & Lacewood||Robie & University||5:55 PM||Cancelled|
|138 Parkland||to Robie & University||Dunbrack & Wentworth||
|138 Parkland||to Dunbrack & Wentworth||Robie & University||
|158 Woodlawn Express||to Robie & University||Portland Hills Terminal||7:25 AM||Cancelled|
|158 Woodlawn Express||to Portland Hills Terminal||Robie & University||4:37 PM||Cancelled|
|159 Colby Express||to Robie & University||Cole Harbour & Cumberland||
|159 Colby Express||to Cole Harbour & Cumberland||Robie & University||
|165 Caldwell Express||to Robie & University||Astral & Grenadier||
|165 Caldwell Express||to Astral & Grenadier||Robie & University||
|168A Auburn Express||Hillsboro & Hwy 7||Robie & South||
|168B Cherry Brook Express||to Robie & University||Cherry Brook & Hwy 7||
|178 Mount Edward Express||-||-||-||No Service|
|179 Cole Harbour Express||-||-||-||No Service|
|182 First Lake Express||to Summer (QEII Health Sciences)||Sackville Terminal||
|182 First Lake Express||to Sackville Terminal||Summer & Bell||
|183 Springfield Express||to Summer (QEII Health Sciences)||Springfield Estates||8:05 AM||Cancelled|
|183 Springfield Express||to Springfield Estates||Summer & Bell||5:52 PM||Cancelled|
|185 Millwood Express||to Summer (QEII Health Sciences)||Millwood & Sackville||
|185 Millwood Express||to Millwood & Sackville||Summer & Bell||
|186 Beaver Bank Express||to Summer (QEII Health Sciences)||Beaver Bank & Kinsac||6:18 AM||Cancelled|
|186 Beaver Bank Express||to Beaver Bank & Kinsac||Summer & Bell||5:07 PM||Cancelled|
|194 West Bedford Express||to Summer (QEII Health Sciences)||West Bedford Park & Ride||6:36 AM||Cancelled|
|194 West Bedford Express||to West Bedford Park & Raide||Summer & Bell||5:00 PM||Cancelled|
|330 Tantallon - Sheldrake Lake||to Duke & Albemarle||Tantallon Park & Ride||
|330 Tantallon - Sheldrake Lake||to Tantallon Park & Ride||Duke & Albemarle||
|330 Tantallon - Sheldrake Lake||to Sheldrake Lake Park & Ride||Duke & Albemarle||
|370 Porters Lake||to Duke & Albemarle||Porters Lake Park & Ride||
|370 Porters Lake||to Porters Lake Park & Ride||Duke & Albemarle||
Date: Effective Monday, November 20, 2023
Routes Affected: 433
Effective Monday, November 20, 2023, Stop Larry Uteck Blvd Before Broad St (2309) and Stop Larry Uteck After Brookline Dr (2310) will activate for service by Route 433. Passengers will be able to board and disembark buses servicing Route 433 at these stops.