The Regional Plan establishes long-range, region-wide planning policies outlining where, when, and how future growth and development should take place between now and 2031.
Vision and Guiding Principle: Our vision for the future is to enhance our quality of life by fostering the growth of healthy and vibrant communities, a strong and diverse economy, and sustainable environment.
The plan seeks to address the needs and view of all sectors of the region, recognizing the diversity of its citizens, community and geography.
The Regional Plan is currently being reviewed
Visit the Shape Your City Project Page for the latest updates and opportunities for public participation.
The Regional Plan is regularly reviewed to make sure it still reflects the region’s goals for growth and development. In February 2020, Regional Council initiated a review of the current plan, which has been in effect since October 18, 2014.
On June 20, 2023, the Regional Planning team presented the Draft Regional Plan to Regional Council. Click here to view the Draft Plan and staff presentation.
Full text of the Regional Plan and related maps
This text-only version of the 2014 Regional Plan [PDF] contains all amendments to October 13, 2023.
Each of the plan’s nineteen maps are provided below in PDF, while Maps 1-12 also available in ArcGIS Online Format.
- Map 1 - Settlement and Transportation
- Map 2 - Generalized Future Land Use
- Map 3 - Trails and Natural Networks
- Map 4 - Parks and Natural Corridors
- Map 5 - Significant Habitats and Endangered Species
- Map 6 - Future Transit and Transportation
- Map 7 - Urban Transit Service Boundary
- Map 8 - Cultural Significance
- Map 9 - Areas of Elevated Archaeological Potential
- Map 10 - Burnside Area
- Map 11 - Blue Mountain - Birch Cove Lakes Conceptual Park Area
- Map 12 - Water Supply Areas
- Map 13A - Hubbards Rural Local Growth Centre
- Map 13B - Upper Tantallon and Tantallon Crossroads Rural Growth Centres
- Map 13C - Enfield Rural Growth Centre
- Map 13D - Lake Echo Rural Local Growth Centre
- Map 13E - Porters Lake Rural District Growth Centre
- Map 13F - Musquodoboit Harbour Rural District Growth Centre
- Map 13G - River-Lakes/Fall River Rural District Growth Centres
These electronic conversions are unofficial copies and are provided for information purposes only. Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of these electronic copies, the Halifax Regional Municipality assumes no responsibility for discrepancies that may have resulted from the reformatting for electronic publication or from delays in updating approved amendments.
Regional Subdivision By-law
Regional Subdivision By-law (text and schedules, except for schedules B, H, I and J) (PDF)
Subdivision By-law Schedules:
Schedule B - Service Requirement Map
Schedule H - Interim Growth Management Area (Map)
Schedule I - Future Transportation Routes (Map)
Schedule J - Beaver Bank and Hammonds Plains Growth Control Areas (Map)