Time: 4:30 p.m.
Location: HEMDCC Meeting Space, Main Floor Alderney Landing, 60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth
Minutes: March 9, 2023 Board of Police Commissioners Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – January 30, 2023 and February 6, 2023
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
• Item 11.1 – Commissioner Blackburn - Board of Police Commissioners Endorsement of the Public Safety Strategy
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
8. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
8.3.1 Halifax Regional Police Extra Duty Police Policy – Matt Stickland [PDF]
9. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
10.1 HALIFAX REGIONAL POLICE/ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE CHIEF UPDATES
10.2.1 Auditor General’s Follow-up Review of 2021 Halifax Regional Police Information Technology Audit [PDF]
10.2.2 Understaffing, Long-term Absences and Mental Health Claims at Halifax Regional Police: An Overview of Issues and Recommendations for Improvement [PDF]
10.2.3 Halifax Regional Police Quarterly Fiscal Update [PDF]
10.2.4 Halifax Regional Police Quarterly Strategic Plan Update [PDF]
10.2.5 Canadian Association of Police Governance Membership Renewal [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners approve the annual renewal of the Commission’s membership in the Canadian Association of Police Governance in the amount of $5,202.
10.2.6 Canadian Association of Police Governance 2023 Webinar Series [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners approve the registration of the Board of Police Commissioners in the Canadian Association of Police Governance 2023 Webinar Series as outlined in Attachment A of the staff memorandum.
10.3 MEMBERS OF BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
10.3.1 Commissioner Critchley - HRM BOPC Human Resources study re Understaffing, Long-term Absences and Mental Health Claims at Halifax Regional Police (the “Human Resources Study”) [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners:
1. Endorse the recommendations included in the Human Resources Study, received by the Board of Police Commissioners February 6, 2023;
2. Request that the Chief Administrative Officer in collaboration with the Chief Officer of the Halifax Regional Police to, in consultation with and with the approval of the Board of Police Commissioners, direct Human Resources & Corporate Communications to prepare a plan for the implementation of the recommendations in the Human Resources Study, which plan shall be received for the Board’s review and approval at a future meeting; and
3. Request that the Chief Administrative Officer in collaboration with the Chief Officer of the Halifax Regional Police to, in consultation with and with the approval of the Board of Police Commissioners, direct Human Resources & Corporate Communications to take immediate action with respect to recommendation E(ii) of the Human Resources Study by beginning to examine the total amount of time worked by HRP employees, including overtime and extra duty, to determine if there is a correlation between time worked and sick leaves usage and available staffing resources.
10.3.2 Commissioner Critchley – Appointment of members to Board of Police Commissioner’s policy subcommittee [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners appoint Commissioners Harry Critchley, Gavin Giles, and Lindell Smith to the Board of Police Commissioners’ newly created Policy Subcommittee for a term of one (1) year.
10.3.3 Commissioner Smith – Budget Process Refresh and Board Policy Update [PDF]
That the Halifax Board of Police Commissioners (BoPC) request that the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) provide a staff report outlining changes to the BoPC’s Policy Handbook and By-law P-100 that update and outline a budget process that aligns with BoPC’s legislated requirements under the Nova Scotia Police Act and follows past approved Council and Board direction related to the budget process. This report should include policy updates that include:
1. Presentation of all capital items within HRM’s budget that impact the delivery of Policing services. (Direction approved July 2019);
2. Incorporating public consultation into the board budget process (Direction approved January 2022);
3. Incorporate the approval of staffing and budget decisions related to the HRP budget, within the two-step process that was outlined in the Oct 18th 2022 staff report on Development of Budget and Approval Process for HRP;
4. Providing the BoPC with further detailed budget breakdown information related to HRP’s budget earlier in the budget process; and
5. Outlining a timeline on when the budget process engagement should begin.
10.4 COMMISSIONER UPDATES – NONE
11. ADDED ITEMS
11.1 Commissioner Blackburn - Board of Police Commissioners Endorsement of the Public Safety Strategy [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners endorse the Public Safety Strategy and its intended actions.
12. ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION
13. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
The Board of Police Commissioners may rise and go into a private In Camera (In Private) session, in accordance with Section 51 of the Nova Scotia Police Act for the purposes of dealing with the following:
13.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – January 30, 2023 and February 6, 2023
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of January 30, 2023 and February 6, 2023 be approved as circulated.
13.2 SECURITY MATTER - Private and Confidential Report
A matter pertaining to security of police operations.
That the Board of Police Commissioners convene to in camera to discuss the matter.
14. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – April 3, 2023
1. Memorandum from the Legislative Assistant dated March 2, 2023 re: Requests to Present to the Board of Police Commissioners. [PDF]
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact Andrea Lovasi-Wood, Legislative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902.240.7164.
To submit correspondence, email email@example.com
More information: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boards-committees-commissions/a-c/board-police-commissioners/engagement-bopc, click on “Correspondence”