Regional Council has various advisory boards and committees who hold meetings to review and provide advice to staff and Regional Council, community councils or standing committees.
Regional Council and the community councils appoint members to many municipal advisory boards, committees, and commissions, and also to some external boards.
Some of these boards, committees, and commissions include citizen volunteer members. Are you interested in volunteering? Find out what positions are currently available, and how to apply.
You can learn more about the boards, committees and commissions via the links below. Boards, committees and commissions whose meetings are supported by the Office of the Municipal Clerk have detailed meeting information online, including minutes and agendas.
You can browse or search for records of board, committee, and commission meetings.
Looking for a board, committee, or commission from 2016 or earlier?
Boards, committees, and commissions that include citizen volunteers
- Accessibility Advisory Committee
- Active Transportation Advisory Committee
- African Descent Advisory Committee
- Board of Police Commissioners
- Community Design Advisory Committee
- Design Advisory Committee
- Design Review Committee
- District Boundary Resident Review Panel
- Grants Committee
- Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee (formerly known as Districts 7 and 8 Planning Advisory Committee)
- Harbour East - Marine Drive Community Council Planning Advisory Committee
- Heritage Advisory Committee
- Investment Policy Advisory Committee
- License Appeal Committee
- North West Planning Advisory Committee
- Point Pleasant Park Advisory Committee
- Port Wallace Community Public Participation Committee
- Regional Watersheds Advisory Board
- Special Events Advisory Committee
- Western Common Advisory Committee
- Women's Advisory Committee
- Youth Advisory Committee
External board appointments that include citizen volunteers
- Community Monitoring Committee
- Events East Board
- Halifax Harbour Bridges - Board of Commissioners
- Halifax International Airport Authority - Board of Directors
- Halifax Port Authority – Board of Directors
- Halifax Regional Library Board
- Halifax Water Commission Board
- Metropolitan Regional Housing Authority
- Shubenacadie Canal Commission
External board appointments for councillors only
Regional Council appoints Councillors as members of these external boards, committees, and commissions.
- Alderney Landing Association
- Business Associations and Commissions – Councillors may choose to serve on business associations and commissions in their districts, or may be appointed by a community council, according to the Terms of Reference of each Association.
- Canadian Urban Transit Association
- Discover Halifax - Board of Directors
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities - Board of Directors
- Halifax Partnership
- Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities - Board of Directors
Inactive Boards, Committees and Commissions
These boards, committees, or commissions are not active and no longer meet. Information is provided for research purposes.
- ArtsHalifax Advisory Committee
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities Advisory Committee (2018 Conference)
- Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary Advisory Committee
- St. Margaret's Bay Coastal Planning Advisory Committee
Task Force on the Commemoration of Edward Cornwallis and the Recognition and Commemoration of Indigenous History