Welcome to the oldest fire department in Canada.
Since 1754, Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE) has been dedicated to enhancing and preserving the quality of life and property. HRFE serves and protects 419,000 residents in a 5,577 km2 area – roughly the size of Prince Edward Island.
Career and volunteer fire crews at 51 fire stations throughout the Halifax region provide a full range of emergency services including:
- fire prevention (fire inspections and code enforcement, fire investigations and public fire safety education)
- fire suppression and rescue
- technical rescue (auto extrication, machinery, ice water, high-angle rope, trench, and confined space rescue, collapse rescue)
- hazardous materials response including chemical, biological, radioactive, nuclear, and explosive
- pre-hospital emergency medical services
- emergency management
Our members are dedicated to enhancing and preserving quality of life, property and environment through education, leadership, partnerships and effective response to emergencies to ensure the citizens of HRM live in safe, inclusive and welcoming communities.
We value Safety, Pride, Integrity/Accountability, Respect Diversity & Inclusion, Innovation, and Teamwork (SPIRIT)
• SAFETY: Commitment to a safe community and workplace.
• PRIDE: In our performance, the service we provide and the communities we serve.
• INTEGRITY & ACCOUNTABILTY: In everything we do, an organization that is trusted by those we serve.
• RESPECT: The uniqueness and diversity of others. All our actions and interactions with others reflect on HRFE.
• INNOVATION: Building a sustainable emergency service strategy for the future and remaining relevant in a changing landscape.
• TEAMWORK and COMMUNICATION: Together we are better. Open, honest, timely and respectful communications are always welcome.
1. Public Safety and Trust
2. Workplace Safety
3. Performance and Brand Integrity
4. Teamwork and Leadership
Union Fire Club Pipes and Drums
The Union Fire Club Pipes and Drums primary function is to provide musical support to the members and families of Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency. The band is a non-profit society that draws its name from the oldest fire department in Canada, The Union Fire Club, which was established in Halifax in 1754.
To inquire about upcoming events for the Union Fire Club Pipes and Drums contact Mike Sears.
Contact Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency
40 Alderney Drive, Suite 302
Dartmouth, N.S., B2Y 2N5
P.O. Box 1749
Halifax, N.S., B3J 3A5
Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Non-Emergency Phone: 902.490.5530 or 311