Noise Exemptions

What type of activities generally require an exemption?

Concerts, outside dances, festivals, university orientations, and special events.

Noise exemptions for construction activities can be found on the Construction Noise Exemptions webpage. 

How do I know if I need a Noise Exemption?

The Noise By-Law provides the hours for which an activity can take place. If you are hosting an event that uses amplified noise or takes place after the hours prescribed in the noise bylaw for either the actual event or the clean-up, you may wish to apply for a noise exemption.
If you fail to apply, and your event falls within the noise exemption requirements, you may be issued a summary offense ticket under the N-200 Noise By-Law.

What is the process to request a Noise Exemption?

If you are considering applying for a Noise Exemption for your event, please note it takes approximately 8 weeks from application to hearing date.

Once an application letter has been submitted, a report is written and will be scheduled (subject to availability) to be heard before Regional Council. Staff will work with the applicant to prepare the report and presentation.  The applicant is required to attend a public hearing at Halifax Regional Council to answer any questions Councillors may have about the event. Once the date of the public hearing has been scheduled, a staff member will contact you to advise.

How do I apply for an exemption?

 For a noise exemption request we require a dated letter from the organization requesting the exemption with the following information:
• Date and time(s) for which exemption is being requested
• Brief description of event scheduled
• Activities taking place which require exemption (e.g. load in, load out, clean-up, setting up seating/bleachers)
• Contact name and number of person we can speak with if clarification is required
• Garbage/recycling handling practices
• Alcohol licensing (if applicable)
• Tent licensing (if applicable)
• Security provider (if applicable)

Sent to:

Halifax Regional Municipality
Attention: By-Law Standards-Noise Exemptions
PO Box 1749
Halifax, NS B3J 3A5

Who do I contact if I have questions about noise exemptions?

You may submit an inquiry about noise exemptions to 311 and a staff member will contact you.