Registering a complaint about someone else's pet

To lodge a complaint about someone else’s pet, please call 311 or 1.800.835.6428 (toll free in Nova Scotia only).

When you call to complain about another person’s pet, you will be expected to provide: 

  • the civic address of the animal owner
  • a description of the animal
  • the time and location of where the incident occurred

For an excessive barking complaint, be prepared to complete a barking dog log [PDF].

You may also be asked to provide a witness statement in order for Animal Services to proceed with an investigation. 

Be aware all information provided to Animal Services is subject to Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation (FOIPOP) and legal disclosure. During the investigation, your information is kept confidential. However, if the matter proceeds to prosecution, all information relating to the investigation, including the identity of complainants and witnesses must be shared with the defense.