For a complete list of off-leash areas please see our Off-leash dog parks page
You must keep your dog leashed and under control in all Halifax parks unless otherwise specifically permitted.
There are designated off-leash areas in certain municipal parks and sports fields that you can use for off-leash activities provided that rules are followed. Remember these areas are shared by all residents.
Off-leash area rules
There have been trespassing and noise complaints from property owners near some off-leash parks. Do not allow your pets to leave the off-leash area. It is essential that you only allow dogs with effective recall skills to be off leash in this area.
Other rules include:
- Dogs must be on leash unless signs indicate otherwise.
- Dogs must have current municipal tags.
- You must carry a leash.
- Your dog must come to you when called.
- You must keep your dog within sight.
- You will be held responsible for any damages or injuries caused by a dog in your care.
- Dogs must not interfere with other park users.
- Aggressive dogs, female dogs in heat, and puppies under three months old are not permitted in off-leash areas.
- You must pick up your dog’s waste immediately.
- Don't unleash your dog when children or adults are playing in a sports field.