General Business Security
Examine your store for any obvious risk factors to make sure your property is safe.
- Keep windows and doors clear for visibility
- Install proper lighting inside and outside your premise
- Have a monitored alarm system and make sure the signage for the system is visible
- Invest in quality security measures including deadbolts, shatterproof glass and digital video surveillance cameras
- Place security cameras behind and facing the counter with the cash register to capture faces
- Always have two individuals working, if possible
- Upon opening, have one person check the store to determine if anything has been disturbed
- Before closing, check inside the premise and rest rooms to make sure they are clear
Theft Prevention Measures
Reduce opportunities for would-be thieves to steal from your store.
- Be aware and alert of suspicious behaviour
- Employees should pay close attention to customers who seem to be loitering or glancing around the store while shopping
- Greet customers as they enter the store, look them in the eyes and ask if they require assistance; your attention may discourage a theft or robbery
- Report any suspicious people or activity, inside or outside the business, to police
Staff safety is paramount. Employees should be trained on what to do to stay safe if a robbery occurs.
- Try to remain calm
- Comply with the robber’s demands
- Take note of the details such as physical descriptions, surfaces touched, weapon description and direction the person fled