The following list contains links to various resources primarily in the form of grants available mainly to non-profit and charities located within Halifax Regional Municipality. If any of the links are not functioning properly you may e-mail email@example.com to report the problem.
Resources for Non-Profits and Charities
- Active Transportation (AT) Grants Program: Grants to help community groups plan, build and maintain active transportation facilities as well as implement walking and cycling education and promotion projects.
- Affordable Housing Grant Program: The Affordable Housing Grant Program is an annual program eligible available to all registered non-profit or charitable organizations for the development or renovation of affordable housing units.
- Fee waiver for affordable housing developments: exclusive to non-profit affordable housing providers.
- Community Interest Property Sales: Less than market value property sales; non-profits and charities only. Surplus Land for Affordable Housing: Surplus municipal land that is suitable for the development of affordable housing is made available to registered non-profit or charitable housing organizations.
- Recreational Trails Grants Program: Grants to support the work of community associations in HRM who operate and maintain eligible recreational trails to support healthy living and recreation.
- Community Grants Program: Annual project and capital grant opportunities for eligible non-profits and charities.
- Tax Relief for Non-Profit Organizations Program: Non-profit organization may reduce their property tax payments through the Tax Relief for Non-Profit Organizations Program.
- Interim Community Museums Grant Program: Operating and project grant opportunities for eligible Community Museums.
- Professional Arts Grant Program: Operating and project grant opportunities for eligible not-for-profit professional arts organizations.
- Event Grants: Various types of event grant opportunities.
- Rural Transit Grant Program: Funding opportunities for not for profit groups providing transit services in Halifax Regional Municipality's rural communities.
- Neighbourhood Placemaking. The program provides guidance and support to community members interested in hosting a project in their neighbourhood.
- Community Arts: Support for members of the public to think creatively about how they can connect with their communities and neighbourhoods through collaborative arts projects.
- Ground Search and Rescue Grants / EMO Organizations: Annual operating and capital grants to Ground Search and Rescue Groups operating under a Memorandum of Understanding with Halifax Regional Municipality’s Fire and Emergency Services.
Resources for Residents
- Solar City: The program offers financing to property owners in HRM who wish to install a solar energy system at their eligible property (residential, not for profit organizations, places of worship, cooperatives, and charities)
- Heritage Incentives Program: Provides cost-shared grants to help private property owners undertake exterior conservation and maintenance work on their registered heritage properties. Non-profits and charities that own registered heritage properties should apply to the Community Grants Program Community Histories funding category.
- About the Affordable Access Program
The Affordable Access Program allows qualified residents to apply for municipal subsidized programs. This new intake process will allow you to apply once and have that application considered for multiple programs – Affordable Access Transit Pass, Recreation Access, Property Tax Exemption and Deferral Program. Learn who is eligible, how to apply, and when applications are due.