Affordable Access Program Qualifications

How do I qualify for the Affordable Access Program?

All applicants are evaluated based on Statistics Canada’s Low-Income Cut-Offs for the current year. For some programs, applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Affordable Access Transit Pass

You are eligible if:

  • You have a household income that is less than the income outlined in Table T of the Guidebook
  • You are not receiving assistance from the Nova Scotia Department of Community Service. These services include: Child, Youth and Family Supports, Income Assistance and Employment Support, Disability Support Program 
  • You are an adult (18 years of age or over)

A household is all family members living in the same home related by blood, marriage, common-law or adoption. Roommates are not considered part of the household. Adults are considered persons 18 years and over. 

You must provide:

  • A completed application form
  • Your current year Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency for adults 18 years and older is required. Household members who not applying and are full-time adult students are not required to provide proof of income; however, they are required to submit proof of enrollment and attendance at an accredited post-secondary educational institution. 

Recreation Funding Access

You are eligible if:

  • You are a resident of the Halifax Regional Municipality
  • You can provide proof of financial need
  • You have not yet paid for recreation programming. The program does not reimburse individuals who have already paid. If you have already paid, you can apply for assistance for another season

The municipality has the right to limit access when necessary.

You must provide:

Property Tax Exemption and Deferral Program

You are eligible if:

  • The combined gross household income and/or proof of net world income of all persons living on the property is $45,000 or less 
  • You are the registered owner or co-owner of the property 
  • The property is your permanent place of residence (not a second property) 

A mobile homeowner can apply for a rebate or payment plan but not a deferral . A home includes a condo, mobile home, or duplex. If the property is assessed as Residential and Commercial or Residential Resource, only the Residential portion can be used to calculate the value of any rebate.

You must provide:

  • A completed application form
  • Proof of Income for the previous tax year for all residents over the age of 18, this includes: 
    • Spouse, common law partner, or domestic partner 
    • Children over the age of 18 
    • Other Residents 
    • Income from a Boarder/Renter (not claimed on CRA Tax Return) 

Income of students over 18 years of age is not to be included on the condition that you provide proof of enrollment in an accredited educational institution.  Under Administrative Order 10, NET World Income must be declared.

If you are applying to the Affordable Access Program and would like to provide feedback, please fill out and submit our Feedback Survey.