There are a number of events being held to kick off the holiday season including:
- Light Up Bedford Parade, Nov. 19 at 5 p.m.
- SaltWire Holiday Parade of Lights, Nov. 25 at 6 p.m. Road closures and parking restrictions are expected to begin at 3 p.m. and will continue until 8 p.m. in some locations.
- Spryfield Santa Claus Parade, Nov. 26 at 2 p.m.
- TD Dartmouth Christmas Tree Lighting, Dec. 2 at 5-6:30 p.m.
- Snow Folk Shuffle Holiday 5K, Dec. 2 at 10 a.m.
Some of the events involve street closures. HRP will have officers performing traffic control at a number of locations to help keep everyone safe. Please plan ahead and expect delays.
Here are some tips to help everyone safely enjoy the holiday events:
- Plan ahead. Check the event’s website to ensure you are familiar with the venue, its location and the amenities it has to offer.
- If possible, take public transportation. These events draw large crowds, causing heavy traffic and making parking difficult.
- If you drink, don’t drive. Plan ahead to have a designated driver or take public transportation.
- For parades, ensure you stay back from the parade vehicles. Stay on one side of the street and don’t run across between floats.
It is easy for little ones to become lost in the midst of a large crowd. Here are a few tips to consider to help keep children safe:
- When you arrive at an event, agree on a meeting place in case you get separated.
- Accompany young children to public washrooms and concession stands.
- Consider carrying an up-to-date picture and make note of what the child is wearing.
Stay safe and enjoy the festivities.